The Bach Walk - practical details
The Bach Walk
Sunday 16 September 2018
Inspired by the life-changing 250-mile journey the 20 year-old JS Bach made on foot to hear the revered composer Dieterich Buxtehude play the organ, we have planned our own, rather more modest walk, between two beautiful churches on the Chatsworth Estate.
Please note, there is limited availability of tickets for the full-day walk, and these must be purchased in advance from Sheffield Theatres box office.
However, there are a number of additional tickets for the 5.30pm concert only, at St Peter's Church, Edensor. Tickets are available to purchase here.
Information for ticket holders
The Chatsworth estate is well signposted from Baslow, Bakewell and Rowsley. Full details can be found here.
- If you're approaching from the north on the B6012, parking at Cavendish Hall (see below for parking) is on the left after the turning to Pilsley and just past the golf course.
- If you're approaching from the south on the B6012, parking at Cavendish Hall (see below for parking) is on the right 500 yards past the main entrance to Chatsworth House and just after the turning to Edensor.
- Please park only in the car park of the Chatsworth Estate office at Cavendish Hall.
- For satnav users, the postcode is DE45 1PJ.
- Parking spaces at Cavendish Hall will be available from 12.30pm. Please do not arrive earlier as the car park will still be in use by Chatsworth staff.
- Parking will be sign-posted and volunteers will be present to guide you to spaces.
- Unless you require a disabled parking space for only the 5.30pm concert, please do not park either in Edensor village or anywhere else on the Chatsworth Estate.
- From the car park it is a very short walk to Edensor church.
Please note that this is an all-weather event. Please bring appropriate footwear, waterproofs and water.
1.30pm: St Peter's Church, Edensor.
BIBER Passacaglia for solo violin
1.45pm: Staff from Music in the Round will guide you along the route. The first stage of the walk is 3 miles on good paths and tracks (and only a very short section by the roadside), but it includes a gentle climb for the first mile.
3.30pm: St Anne's Church, Beeley
JS BACH Cello Suite No. 1 in G BWV 1007
*** Please note that there are no toilets at the church in Beeley ***
4pm: The second stage of the route is over 1 mile and an easy walk along the riverside by Chatsworth House back to Edensor
4.45-5.20pm: Tea, coffee and cake will be served at Edesnor Tea Cottage (included in your ticket price; for dietary requirements please see below). Please note4 that spaces available within the Tea Cottage are limited and will be on a first come / first served basis. However, there is partially covered seating available on picnic benches at the entrance to the Tea Cottage.
5.30pm: St Peter's Church, Edensor
BACH Violin Partita No. 3 in E BWV 1006
BRITTEN Cello Suite No.3 Op.87
YSAŸE Violin Sonata No.2 in A minor Op.27
BACH Two-part inventions (selection)
6.30pm: concert ends
Edensor Tea Cottage can cater for all dietary requirements. Please let us know of any special requirements by Friday 7 September. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0114 281 4660.